Sunday, March 4, 2018

February 25, 2018: Tata Ultra Marathon - Race Day

Running Route: Lonavala Hill run
Distance: 35.5 kms


I woke up at 3 am and  had hardly got any sleep of may be an hour or 2, anxious whether I could even complete the race. I got out of the room and reached the venue by rickshaw at 3.45 am. I had a plan – take it easy, I have 6 hrs to complete 35 kms, so even if I walk at the speed of 6 kms/hr, I would reach the finish line before the cut-off time.

My purpose to participate was to kill/reduce the fear of doing an ultra, hills and distance. As I reached the venue, it was nicely organised. There were tea, biscuits, fruits, nuts, yoga mats, head lamps and most important for me – phone charging booth!

I did some stretching & went for the starting line, I was feeling very happy to be standing there, felt like I was surrounded by athletes & for few moments forgot my fear of leaving the race incomplete. I was feeling great, wearing the head lamp, I felt happy to be there.

Race started exactly at 4.30 am. I started running slowly (as always), people were running ahead of me and again I was not concerned. I was enjoying the start of the route. It started with an incline from the start, there were streetlights initially, later we totally had to depend on our headlamps.

After 2-3 kms, soles of my feet started feeling numb while running, initially I thought it is due to the socks I was wearing. So I stopped and wore it again, but it was not the case, slowly my whole feet started feeling that. But I was kinda happy with that because I was not feeling any pain but was concerned with the consequence. After may be 4 kms, I reached a fuel station and had the Gluco drink & suddenly my feet got better & I also felt a good amount of energy. I started running with a good speed along with two ladies and a guy (whom I suspected stayed with me for the first 6 kms with concern that this fat guy might fall on the way).

And then there came a sign of uphill, where I thought ’What else was I doing till now?’ but it was actually tough. It was very steep & people were not able to run on it. I decided to walk that full uphill course (because anyway I was not going to win this thing, then why to take the pain). I actually enjoyed the uphill walk & ran whenever there was a bit declines and straight roads. I was feeling great walking and running in the dark, with head lamps on, eating oranges, bananas and glucose drinks in between.

I had no difficulty till 22 kms, I was singing songs aloud which I was listening. But after 22, I had a cramp on my right thigh while running an uphill, I stopped for some time & did some stretching, I felt good, later I walked for a km.

Then after 24 kms, there was steep downhill & while running I felt a very bad pain on my right knee, so again I did stretching & walked for a km and may be 2. I felt like leaving this time, but some positive things came in my mind unconsciously – Pooja telling me: Í know you will complete it’. Ranjit’s message – Kill it Bipin. Kamal’s message of showing courage by participation, Sridhar’s call the day before the run. Ashish Niranjan, Robert and Sandeep sir’s advise to take it easy. Everything I did from training to rafting – everything gave me strength, later on the full course I had this feeling & it encouraged me to complete the course. And luckily I reached the fuel station and I ate & drank everything they offered. A guy named Ramdas from Tata Communication advised me to try drinking Coca Cola and eating oranges with salt and it really worked. I had this whenever I saw a fuel station.

But between 28-29 kms, there was sun on my head, uphill and no fuel station from last 2 kms. Organiser’s car asked me whether I am fine and could get in the car if I am exhausted. He offered this to me twice, I told him – ‘Sorry, but I am not going to leave the race till I am on foot, he can pick me up if I fall on the way.’ He ran with me for half a km and luckily we reached two ambulances where I borrowed water and carried one along. After half km, there was a fuel station, again I had whatever they offered and took a cold water sponge.

After 31 km, I suddenly realised only 4 kms were left & I was still not tired or exhausted, still running strong. I was again singing on the way and again the guy from the car passed me giving me a hi-5. I completed the run strong and had a feeling I could have done more may be 10 kms.



I was happy to do it by my own strength and energy, not taking gels ppl around me were having. Unknown ppl and kids motivating and encouraging me. A guy even offered me orange from his car.

I hope memory of this run always remains with me.

Injuries: Right leg's knee pain
Pain: Cramp on right thigh and knee pain on right leg

No comments: